simple is beautiful
Wailea Daily Photo: Solitary Sentinel of Makena
2 ... 2 ...

Monday 4 June 2007

Solitary Sentinel of Makena

I've photographed lots of feral cats as I've hiked Maui, but this one I love because of the contrast of the white against the dark. This cat also has unusual markings with a black nose and a black tail! Makena Beach is ringed with kiawe trees which have sharp thorns, so it's wise to wear sandals or flip flops when walking near these trees. Even then, I've had a kiawe thorn pierce a rubber flip flop. I'm not going to describe the pain of stepping on one without a shoe!

The first seed came from Paris, no less! Father Bachelot, the first Catholic priest in the Hawaiian Islands, planted a tree that he had raised from a seed he had brought with him from Paris.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LABEL